Friday, January 27, 2012

untitled in January

We had a rare 60-degree January day today.  It started off with a thunderstorm, even.  If all winter was like this, aside from one or two snow days that keep me home from work, I would never have what they call "the winter doldrums" and what I call "gahhhh life sucks!!!!"

Following up from last week, my haircut experience went well.  I'm pleased with how it turned out, although it does require a little more styling, "encouragement," shall we say, since I've got long bangs now.  Bangs have traditionally been a problem for me.  They just don't behave like bangs should.  (In high school I used a curling iron to make them into a big pouf, like Charlie Brown's sister Sally, that I don't think was EVER stylish.)  The bangs I have now are meant to be swept to the side, which means the hair dryer and/or the curling iron have to be briefly applied.

Here is the before

And here is the after

When I look at pictures of myself I always think I need to wear lipstick.  But when I look at myself in the mirror with lipstick on, I think I look ridiculous.

Thea enjoyed skiing last week.  Faith didn't enjoy it as much but she still had a fun trip and said she's willing to give it another try sometime.

I took up crocheting again last month, basically for the first time since I was in high school.  I've been easing back in with simple stuff like potholders/coasters

and granny squares.

The granny squares were from this pattern and the coasters from this one.  I do a couple of granny squares a week, and I figure at some point I'll have enough to sew them together and make a blanket.  Neato!  Now I'm ready to tackle a real project -- a little hat for my friend's baby.

New pictures, from our trip to Six Flags America (back in August, yes I'm behind on posting pictures), are up here.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hello love!! Your hair looks amazing, I love the new cut!! :) I so need a hair cut myself, but keep putting if off.. LOL! Maybe before the baby comes, okay def before she comes!! I had no idea you crochet. So does Sierra, she taught herself so much after she learned the basics. I will have to share with you some of the things she has made, and is always wanting to learn more and harder things!! :) Hope you have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment Brig! I'm still working out what to do with bangs but overall I'm happy.

    I also loved crocheting when I was Sierra's age. Thea doesn't seem interested. I'd love to see what Sierra has made. If my baby hat turns out well, I'll make one for Alyssa too :)

    ReplyDelete