Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Week In

A week ago this evening we had just arrived at our little apartment at a retirement community near Orlando.  I simultaneously cannot believe a whole week has passed, and cannot believe that we have only been here a week.

Slowly I am getting used to things.  For instance, we get a storm of some kind come through every day.  Seriously, every day this week.  Sometimes it will just cloud up and thunder will boom for a while.  Sometimes wicked lightning storms scare me.  Sometimes there is a torrential downpour.  Sometimes the wind blows but no real rain falls.

At least the clouds bring a drop in temperature.  It is really, really hot here.  The sun blazes down with intensity that is different than in Maryland.  It's so bright that it still surprises me.  But when the sun is not shining, it actually can get relatively cool.  Evenings are almost always very pleasant, unlike Baltimore which remained hot and stuffy all night.

Thea has been in high school for a week and she really seems to be enjoying herself.  I had some trouble getting Faith and Holly enrolled in school, but everything has been worked out for them to begin on Monday.  Holly is beside herself with excitement.  Faith grumbles but I think she is interested in how it's going to be at a different and larger school.  I am looking forward to having all of them out of my hair at once so I can actually get some work done.

I still feel unsettled and transient.  We have another two weeks here at the old folks' home and then we go to our rental house.  Since we will be there for at least six months, I hope it will feel a little more like home.

Pictures next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment