Friday, October 28, 2011

Party time, excellent

Woohoo, the temperatures have been in the 60s and the 70s all month, which was great because I was planning a bunch of outdoor activities for the girls' birthday/Halloween party tomorrow night.  Well guess what?  Tomorrow, temperatures are not even supposed to reach 50 degrees.  There is a 100% chance of rain during the day.  At night, temperatures will dip into the 30s, and there is a 70% chance of SNOW.  Dammit!!!

I am not sure now what I am going to do with nearly 20 kids stuck in my house.

I have a "haunted hallway" getting set up with black lights and fog machines.  I have glow-in-the-dark bugs to put all over, and I found this cool idea online and did it -- printed out antique-looking photos and touched them up with a yellow highlighter to look creepier under the black light.  For future reference, the best photos were the ones that had a lot of white space on them to begin with, as that glows better and the yellow highlighter shows up extremely well.  The darker photos make it harder to see my embellishments.  The best photo of all was this one --

it printed out pretty creepy-looking on its own.  I colored in the guy's eyes with the highlighter and he is impressive.

I have a bunch of food I have to make tomorrow, mostly ideas I collected on Pinterest -- Nutter Butter ghosts, decorated cupcakes and brownies, witch hat cookies, mummy hot dogs, eyeball (meatball) sandwiches, and a veggie tray with dip that is coming out of a sick-looking jack o'lantern's mouth.  Hehehe.  Oh and a black punch with a floating ice hand in it.  Can't wait to see how that turns out!

I was going to play pin-the-heart-on-the-skeleton outside, as well as have a balloon stomp (balloons tied with a length of yarn to the kids' feet -- the object is to stomp on other people's balloons while protecting your own), a balloon-ghost popping relay race, and a treat hunt through the yard.  Those ideas are all way up in the air now.  I don't have a room large enough for 20 kids stomping on balloons, or a room long enough for a relay race.  Maybe I can still pull off the skeleton.  More likely the kids will just run wild through the house.  Or worse, sit around bored!

No comments:

Post a Comment